Thursday, April 14, 2011

When to Leave a Job

I sometimes get asked about managing one’s career. Today I came across a blog post that has many of the same ideas and advice I pass on to others. While I don’t agree with everything on the list, there are a particular few I think are vital:

If you aren’t being challenged in your job – leave.If you think you are successful – leave and find something or somewhere where you aren’t. When you become successful again – leave again.If your work is winning awards and it feels like you win most pitches – leave and go somewhere where no one has won anything and there is a low rate of success at pitches. Help them turn it around.

Now you might be saying, “but Matt I have kids to feed and billz to pay! I can’t just quit my job!” The word ‘leave’ doesn’t necessarily mean quit. If you’ve mastered the role you’re working in, it’s a good time to think about moving laterally within the same company, taking on more responsibility, or transferring to another department.

The #1 lesson here is do not get lazy. If you’re not pushing yourself at work, you’re not growing your career.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!


View the original article here